FAVIGNANA E LA SICILIA OCCIDENTALE

Erice old town | Churches and places of worship

Erice Cathedral

Erice Cathedral, built in 1314, was consecrated to the Assunta Virgin Mary.

The former oratory chapel, had been built in the time of Costantino and it underwent a big transformation following the Gothic taste by will of Federico III Aragonese. Nine crosses coming from the pagan temple of Venus Erycina were fixed on the right out wall.

The former oratory chapel, had been built in the time of Costantino and it underwent a big transformation following the Gothic taste by will of Federico III Aragonese. Nine crosses coming from the pagan temple of Venus Erycina were fixed on the right out wall. During the Sicilian Vespers was built a squared defense tower which later in the XIV became a bell tower with mullioned windows. The plan had a Basilican shape with three aisles and  decorated vaults. The pronao was added in 1426. Later more little chapels and hand-made works of art were built next to the side aisles: San Nicola Chapel, San Giuseppe Chapel and the vestry rooms behind the main Chapel. In 1715 the church was interdicted because of a crime which bloodstained its floor and consecrated again later in the same year by the Bishop Castelli. Other archbishops ordered many a structural change that made the building weaker and weaker, besides to chaotic in its look and, when the vaults collapsed in 1858, the whole building’s nucleus was pulled down to be built again. The present Cathedral lays on sheafed Corinthian columns and pillars; pedestals, bases and capitals are neo-Gothic. Even the vault on the central aisle is neo- Gothic with its pointed arch. Inside the church are preserved several works of art: sculptures, paintings, and handicraft works by famous artists like Domenico Gagini and Giuliano Mancino. The rose window has replaced a former round large slab with three loopholes. The main door is an example of Chiaramontana architecture, while the sidemen is a Catalan door with its diamond ashlars. On the west outer wall there is a stone altar with a cross fine-bordered with tufas; it had been built in 1852 and used during easter celebrations. Lately a sort of museum is kept inside the room of the left side chapels. 

 

GALLERY IMMAGINI

Clicca sull’immagine per visualizzare la gallery

POSITION ON MAP
BOOK ONLINE

SPECIAL OFFERS FOR YOUR HOLIDAY IN FAVIGNANA

Choose among our special offers that one is best for you, between “early booking” offers and last minute or last second rates. For those who book directly on our website, the best rates will be guaranteed.

BY THE SEA IN FAVIGNANA

the map says our exact location, in front of the “Previto” islet, on the road to sea stacks

© Copyright 2019 – Casa Vacanze NIDO DEL PELLEGRINO, contrada Grosso – Favignana (Trapani - Sicilia)
Elite Island s.r.l. – P.IVA: 02523280812 | TEL: +39 09231941520; +39 347 4698006; +39 350 0984769 - MAIL: info@nidodelpellegrino.it - Codice CIR: 19081009B410096

POWERED BY feelingIN